Thursday, October 26, 2006

Missing in Action

#2 posting 10.26.2006
your daily dose of girls volleyball news & information

Out & About: Swicheroo???
Tonight I went to Champlin Park to watch #12 Stillwater against #5 CP in the 4AAA round of 16, however when I arrived at the gym there was nothing going on except some football game outside. The band was getting ready for a concert at 8 pm. There was absolutely nothing going on in the gym. The programs were there, but no players, coaches, refs, nets, fans, stands, concessions.

The MSHSL website said the game was supposed to start at 7 pm. A father and daughter came up to the doors looking for the game too as I was leaving. I hope they didn't have to drive 45 minutes for nothing.

For a section tournament I would expect better promotion, but there was no correction on the web or in the papers. Section tournaments mean the end of the line for one team. To play this game as an afterthought, away from primetime with fans unable to alter their schedule is pretty sad.

This brings me to the question---why isn't volleyball getting any respect?

There was no word on who won.

Tomorrow there will be many interesting quarterfinals, but none better than in 6AAA with #6 Apple Valley at #3 Eden Prairie and #5 Eastview at #4 Shakopee.
I will be watching the Gophers/Ohio State game however wishing I could be in three places at once.

Up next: tomorrow morning with the results of tonight's matches.