Friday, September 15, 2006

Out & About: Minnesota/Connecticut

#3 posting 9.15.2006
your daily dose of girls volleyball news & information

MINNESOTA 3, CONNECTICUT 0

The Gophers opened their home schedule tonight with an opening win in the Diet Coke Classic. The opponent was Big East member Connecticut. They have three Minnesota players on their roster Megan Frey from Chaska, Lorelle Schaub, Irondale; and Bridget Denson-Dorman, who played at Armstrong and Hopkins in her HS career. Denson-Dorman was Big East Rookie of the week last week. DD was setting. Early in her career she was a setter, and then moved to OH at Armstrong. The Gophers won 17, 16, 26.

I was going to do a rehash of what happened, but the press release from Minnesota says it all. If you want the UConn view here it is.
I will give my limited views. I was charting play by play in the first two games. A key stat is the first ball side out % and the Gophers checked in at .750 in the first game .615 in the second. UConn on the other hand was at .417 in the first, .250 in the second. I tried charting different items in the 3rd game so I don't have a clear #s for that game. I was experimenting with grading receiving and grading serves. Later I tried keeping track of all the touches (just on the Gopher side). Tomorrow I will be at the second game of the day. The first game conflicts with the St. Paul Acadmey tournament we are involved in.
Here is the official box. They don't have 1st ball sideout %. Kyla Roehrig powered 15 kills on the night to lead MN. As far as errors go MN gave away 33 points, and UConn gave away 47. So that means MN earned 47.7% points, and UConn earned 46.8%.

I have KARE 11 on and during the sports, not one mention of the Gopher volleyball match, much less video. Luckily you can watch on the Gopher site as they have some highlights available.

Next up: tomorrow, and it may be late.